These bbq chicken legs are the perfect way to fire up that Weber Kettle grill that has been sitting in the back yard. The seasoning is simple yet delicious and the pecan wood smokes these juicy chicken legs with a pleasant nutty flavor.
BBQ Chicken Legs
What kind of BBQ sauce should I use?
Because of the wood chips infusing a smokiness flavor into the chicken legs I recommend steering clear of a smoky style bbq sauce. I used the 365 brand Original Barbecue Sauce from Whole Foods for this recipe but feel free to use what brand of bbq sauce you like.
What are the best wood chips for smoking chicken?
Wood chips are small pieces of wood that when added to charcoal smolder and release short bursts of flavored smoke. When picking out wood chips for chicken you can’t go wrong with a milder fruit wood like cherry and apple. Personally I prefer pecan for it’s sweet and nutty flavor when smoking chicken.
How long does it take to grill chicken legs?
You will want to cook the chicken legs to an internal temperature of 175 degrees F which can take a total of approximately 45 minutes. There are two stages of cooking which include direct heat for 8-10 and indirect heat for an additional 35 minutes.
BBQ Chicken Legs
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 12 chicken legs
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 handfuls of pecan wood chips
- 2/3 cup bbq sauce
- In a small bowl mix together the smoked paprika, salt, garlic, and black pepper. Drizzle the legs with oil and rub the seasoning evenly over all the chicken pieces.
- Preheat the grill to 350 degrees and prepare the coals for indirect heat.
- Place the chicken over direct and cook for 8 to 10 minutes with the lid closed. Turn the chicken halfway through until both sides are golden brown.
- Move the chicken pieces over indirect heat.
- Scatter the drained wood chips over the charcoal.
- Close the lid and grill the chicken for 20 minutes.
- Brush the legs on both sides with your favorite bbq sauce. Continue to cook over indirect heat with the lid closed for 15 minutes or until the sauce begins to caramelize and the internal temperature reaches 175.
Leave a Reply