- 12 chicken legs
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 handfuls of pecan wood chips
- 2/3 cup bbq sauce
- In a small bowl mix together the smoked paprika, salt, garlic, and black pepper. Drizzle the legs with oil and rub the seasoning evenly over all the chicken pieces.
- Preheat the grill to 350 degrees and prepare the coals for indirect heat.
- Place the chicken over direct and cook for 8 to 10 minutes with the lid closed. Turn the chicken halfway through until both sides are golden brown.
- Move the chicken pieces over indirect heat.
- Scatter the drained wood chips over the charcoal.
- Close the lid and grill the chicken for 20 minutes.
- Brush the legs on both sides with your favorite bbq sauce. Continue to cook over indirect heat with the lid closed for 15 minutes or until the sauce begins to caramelize and the internal temperature reaches 175.