- 4 quarts cold water
- 2 lemons, halved
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 large thyme sprig
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and bruised
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 pounds fresh shrimp (16/20 size)
- Fill a large pot with 4 quarts of water. Squeeze the juice from the lemons then toss in the lemon halves, onion, thyme, garlic, bay leaves, Old Bay, and peppercorn to the water.
- Bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp and return to a boil.
- Once it reaches a boil, cover and remove from heat. Let sit for 5 mins.
- Drain shrimp in a colander and dip the colander in an ice bath to prevent overcooking.
- Enjoy with cocktail sauce or use in a recipe that requires cooked shrimp.
The size of shrimp will affect how long you boil them. The key is to look for a separation of the shell from the shrimp. As soon as you see this drain the shrimp because they are perfectly cooked.