- 4 quarts crawfish shells and claws
- 5 quarts water
- 1 yellow onion, quarted
- 2 celery stalks, sliced into thirds
- 1 head of garlic, top removed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lemon, halved
- 20 black peppercorns
- Rinse crawfish shells under cold water.
- Pour 5 quarts of water and crawfish shells into a stockpot.
- Combine rest of the ingredients into the pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain through a large colander first then through a fine mesh strainer.
- Use stock immediately or chill for later use.