- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- pinch of kosher salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Saute onions until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in quinoa, black beans, salsa verde, chicken broth and seasonings into skillet.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork. Serve immediately.
Even though I used salsa verde feel free to use your favorite salsa instead.