Quinoa is all the craze these days. You’ve probably heard your yoga loving aunt tell you all about the benefits of this superfood. Well, she is right about quinoa, although the essential oils are still questionable. Who could argue with this nutritionally packed grain? It is gluten-free, high in fiber and protein while containing nine essential amino acids.
This Yellow Quinoa really came out of the desperation of needing a recipe for this week. I didn’t know what to make, and I had a huge bag of quinoa from Costco staring at me from the pantry. So, I decided to substitute quinoa for the rice in a Yellow Rice recipe I have been making for years. The results were amazing!!! I guess desperation does produce creativity!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 green onion, sliced
- In a medium pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add turmeric, cumin, and garlic powder. Stir for 30 secs.
- Pour quinoa into pot. Stir for 1 min.
- Add chicken stock and salt. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer for approximately 15 mins or until desired consistency.
- Top with green onions and serve immediately.
The quinoa I buy from Costco comes pre-washed. If it doesn’t specify then you will want to make sure you wash your quinoa before cooking to help nullify the bitter taste.
STEP BY STEP PHOTOS
The best part is all of these items are staples of a well-stocked kitchen!
In a medium pot, melt butter over medium heat.
Add turmeric, cumin, and garlic powder. Stir for 30 secs.
Pour quinoa into pot. Stir for 1 min.
Add chicken stock and salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer for approximately 15 mins or until desired consistency. Top with green onions and serve immediately.